People are more aware of the importance of recycling than ever before, but there’s still so much more we could do to limit our impact on the environment.
Take a few moments to think about these facts:
- Manufacturing plastics releases huge quantities of poisonous carbon monoxide, dioxin and hydrogen cyanide.
- 8% of the world’s oil production goes into making plastic.
- The UK uses more than a quarter of a million tonnes of plastic every year.
- Currently only about 24% of that is recycled.
- The average family throws away more than 40kg of recyclable plastic a year.
- Recycling a tonne of plastic bottles saves 1.5 tonnes of carbon.
- It can up to 500 years for plastic to decompose, slowly releasing poisons into the environment to be consumed by plants and animals.
- More than half the litter found on UK beaches is plastic.
- Over a million sea birds and animals die from ingestion of plastics every year. Plastic bags in particular are often mistaken for jellyfish by sea birds and turtles.